Women's talk

I would like to present here two TEDx talks by two of the women I most deeply admire and respect these days: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Zena el Khalil.

Chimamanda is a story teller from Nigeria.
Her latest novel, Americanah, was in one of the lists I sometimes fill in to remind myself 'things to do', or in this case, 'books to read'. The title stayed abandoned in my list for some months, until no long ago, a friend sent me the link to Chimamanda's talk on TED, "The danger of a single story". I literally stayed attached to my laptop' screen until the very last sentence. She enchanted me!
The next day I ordered the book in the original language (even though it has been translated in Italian too). 
Only few weeks ago, a good friend of mine from New York (another amazing woman) posted Chimamanda's recent talk on TED, "We should all be feminists". Once again I stayed attached to the laptop's screen. Once again, enchanted!
I can so feel what she said and I can share it! I feel feminist too.
At some point she said: "We must raise our daughters differently, we must also raise our sons differently".
I have a small child, a boy, and I feel the responsibility of the way I will raise him. 
I thank you Chimamanda for your wonderful words!!!

Zena is a writer and artist from Beirut, Lebanon.
Some years ago I read her book, Beirut I love you. Amazing! No longer after my reading I had the chance to travel to Lebanon and Syria. I felt in love with those countries and I understood Zena's words. Beirut is in my heart.
In 2010 Zena was in a tour in Italy, Beirut Love Attack. As I was in touch with her, since my days in Beirut, we could eventually meet in person. I will never forget our spontaneous hug when we met.
Her TED talk is a big lesson of love, I am quoting her: "Love is the most powerful tool that we have".
TEDxAmsterdamWomen
Choose Love over Hate

TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Meanwhile, independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A conversation on Sol LeWitt

Zak Ové @ Volta, New YOrk!

Africa is not a country! Coffee time with Camilla Boemio